Friday, January 22, 2010

A Tribute to a Collective Life Soundtrack Moment

When I was in high school, I went to 4 proms. This probably sounds like a lot, especially to people like my boyfriend who never even went to his own senior prom. Honestly, my high school sweetheart and I each went to different schools that were the kind of suburban high schools that have both a junior and a senior prom so... going to 4 proms really was just expected for me.

Going to prom more than once means that you get to enjoy the process of finding "the dress" more than once, you get to go in multiple limos, have multiple garters removed from you... but most importantly: you get more than one PROM SONG!

I would therefore like to dedicate this post to the wonderful world of prom songs.

The first prom I went to was my high school sweetheart's junior prom when I was a sophomore. I still have the enormous shot glass (that, of course, was called a bud vase because high school events can't give out drinking paraphernalia) which is emblazoned with a couple dancing under the stars and the words "Chances Are." That song - sung as a duet by Bob Seger and Martina McBride - was a big hit at the time because of the movie "Hope Floats" and I think it was a pretty good choice. I can still remember being so happy to see how the dance floor seemed to get fuller than it had all night long when the official prom song came on. How can you not want to dance to the official song, right? And the best part... because the song was so popular on the radio, my date and I each new all the words and were unabashedly singing to each other. How romantic?!

My school had a different thought when it came to junior prom. My school's student council felt that junior prom was more the prom that's about friends while senior prom is more reserved for the romantic moments. So for my junior prom, the song that was chosen was "I'll Stand By You" which is originally by The Pretenders. The link I've chosen is from the TV show Glee. I picked this version of the song because although it wasn't from my prom, I can never think of this song the same way again after seeing it sung by the character Finn to his unborn child... well, he believes it is his anyways and I must admit I cried when I watched this! Who wouldn't want a man with that kind of passion and sensitivity to be the father of their child? Oh wait... Quinn is a little cheating bitch and the baby is really Puck's!!!

Okay, if you don't watch Glee, I apologize for that digression. Back to prom, I must admit that I sadly do NOT remember my high school sweetheart's senior prom song. I know he said he stuffed the ballot box at his school with our song - "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" - but all I remember is they picked something else. It was very awesome though when a bunch of us couples abandoned our slow dancing to form a big swaying circle together!

Finally, we'll get to my senior prom. Honestly, my senior prom was my least favorite prom of all - probs cause it's the only one I went to sans date. But, the song that was chosen was definitely perfect for seniors saying goodbye! That last prom of mine was all about "Please Remember" by LeAnn Rimes. Of course, it was probably thee most depressing song EVER for a dateless girl whose own high school sweetheart was no more because he went off to college a year before I did. So what did I do? I actually ended up dancing with another girl's date to this song! LMAO In all fairness, they were just there as friends and she was nowhere to be found when the song came on! AND the guy I asked (who said he wasn't going) showed up with some skankaliscious junior who wore what looked like a giant sparkly starfish on her head! :-P So There!!!

I am now officially laughing at my high school self and I hope you are too! Until next time, this is Megs reminding you to look back on yourself and the music that made those special moments just a little bit more memorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment